Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Can Fear be a Blessing

I think one of the most common events in parenting is being asked by your child/children to look under the bed and closet for monsters. I remember both my boys, with those sad little faces, saying; “Dad, I’m Scared.” My response was assuring them that there are no monsters, that I am there and more importantly Jesus is always with them, so there is nothing to be afraid of. But of course I still check under the bed and closet for added comfort.  I heard a story of a mom and her boy. She insisted that her boy go outside and grab the broom, but there was little problem…it was dark outside. The boy responded to his mom; “It’s dark outside and I’m scared!” His mom replied; “Son, you know that Jesus is always there to protect you.” So the boy was pretty clever, he opened the door and shouted; “Hey Jesus, if you are out there, would you bring the broom inside?” I thought it was a good story…
Being afraid is often seen as a bad trait, but the truth is, without fear, we would never know what we are capable of.  Whether in our faith, work, or school, your fears are mountainous obstacles, but they are only impossible if you don’t face them. When you face them, especially with Christ, you find out that those fears might just be blessings shaping you into the person you are called to be. Never let your greatest fears prevent you from moving forward, because sometimes it’s those very fears that develop you for God’s very best.  
The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.”
                                                                                  ~ Nelson Mandela
Blessings,
Pastor Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment